What Makes Intersections So Dangerous on Mississippi Drivers?
A fatal collision in Clarke County, MS claimed another life, as a third victim died of his injuries at University Medical Center in Jackson. ABC 11 News WTOK reported the announcement of the Mississippi Highway Patrol on July 31, 2017, and went on to state that the total casualties include three fatalities and four people injured in the crash. The car accident occurred at a particularly dangerous intersection of two major highways approximately 150 miles due north of Biloxi. There are various factors at play in any auto accident in Mississippi, but there are certain issues that make hazardous intersections an extreme risk for all drivers.
Crash Rate Factors at Dangerous Intersections
There are certain characteristics that make some intersections more perilous than others, including:
- High Traffic Volume: Busy intersections may be dangerous due to the greater number of drivers, buses, trucks, cyclists, and pedestrians present. With higher traffic comes increased potential for accidents, especially during rush hour.
- Limited Visibility: Intersections with poor visibility present multiple safety issues, because motorists are unable to see the factors that may cause a crash. A may not spot a threat, such as oncoming traffic or a hidden structure, in time to avoid it.
- Inadequate Signage: Intersections that lack appropriate signage may lead motorists to become confused or unaware of how to navigate the roadway. If the sign is unclear, they devote too much attention to trying to figure out the signs – instead of driving.
- Lack of Turn Lanes: Drivers making left-hand turns must use proper judgment to ensure they pass across the lanes and complete the maneuver. An error puts a motorist directly in the path of oncoming traffic.
September 2010 Study of Crash Factors in Intersection Related Crashes
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration found some trends in driver behavior that may contribute to accidents at intersections.
- A driver’s lack of attention or illegal maneuver is often a factor in intersection crashes.
- Drivers turning both left and right may exercise poor judgment in estimating speed of cars traveling in the lane to which they’re turning.
- In accidents involving younger drivers under age 24, accidents at intersections are commonly due to internal or external distractions.
- Drivers aged 25 to 54 are more likely to be involved in a collision due to fatigue, inattention, or aggressive driving.
Highly Competent Legal Representation in a Biloxi, MS Auto Accident
Dangerous intersections present a risk for Mississippi motorists, but there’s usually a human element involved with a car accident. When another driver is negligent in navigating an intersection and causes a collision, you may be able to recover compensation for any injuries that you sustain. You’ll need a strong attorney to advocate on your behalf, especially when discussing settlement with an insurance company, so please contact the Law Offices of Judy Guice to discuss your case. Our attorneys are knowledgeable in the state laws governing auto accident cases, and we have extensive experience representing injured victims. We can answer your questions or set up a consultation at our convenient Biloxi, MS location.