Close Menu
Biloxi & Gulfport Personal Injury Attorney
"No Recovery
No Fee"
Free Initial Consultation 228-374-9787

Auto Insurance Liability Coverage On The Job

If you run errands for your employer or business, you may want to know whether your employer carries hired and non-owned automobile liability insurance. There are several activities people conduct in their personal vehicles for their employers. These activities can include routine trips to the bank or post office, purchasing office supplies, or traveling out of town for conferences or meetings. If you are involved in a car accident while on official business for your employer, it is helpful to know if this will be covered by the employer’s business insurance policy.

Non-Owned and Hired Insurance

Most employer auto insurance policies cover accidents that involve vehicles owned by the business. These vehicles must also be listed specifically on the policy. Employers may purchase additional insurance to cover non-owned and hired vehicles. Non-owned insurance covers accidents that occur when employees drive their personal vehicles for job-related tasks. Hired vehicle insurance policies cover accidents that occur when an employee (or employer) drives a rented, borrowed, or hired automobile. Hired vehicle liability policies are subject to certain exceptions, however.

Not only is it important to know these details about your employer’s insurance policies, it is also critical to know what your personal auto insurance covers and the monetary limits on that coverage. Your personal automobile liability insurance should cover an accident that occurs while you are on official work-related business. If, however, the cost of the damage from the accident is greater than the coverage provided by your personal insurance policy, your employer could be responsible for the excess damages if you were conducting business for the employer and you were found to be the party at fault in the accident.

What to Do After a Car Accident

If you are in an automobile accident, there are several things you can do to help make the claims process easier. First, you should call the police. Next, you should get the following information from all of the parties involved: the name of the operator of each vehicle; each vehicle’s license number; and the name, address, and registration number of each operator’s insurance company. It may also be helpful to get the names and addresses of all witnesses and other persons involved in the accident. Make a note of the time, date, road conditions, location, and the make, model, and year of all vehicles involved in the accident. Also note the damage and injuries, including a diagram of the accident scene. Call your insurance company as soon as possible to notify them of the accident and claim. Finally, take reasonable steps to ensure that you protect your vehicle from any further damage.

Contact an Attorney

If you have been involved in a car accident while conducting official business on behalf of your employer, you may have questions about your personal automobile liability insurance coverage as well as your employer’s insurance policy coverage. Insurance policies can be complicated and difficult to understand. It is critically important to speak with an experienced automobile accident and insurance attorney as soon as possible, as you may be entitled to compensation. Don’t hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Judy Guice in Biloxi today at (288) 374-9787 for your free consultation. We are happy to assist you as soon as possible.

750 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Biloxi, Mississippi 39530

Free Background Information Available upon request.
Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2016 - 2019 The Law Offices of Judy Guice. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab