Motorcycle Safety Tips for Biloxi, MS Riders
Hitting the open road on your motorcycle is one of the most exhilarating, exciting ways to enjoy warm weather in Mississippi. Still, riders must always be mindful of the threats that surround them. You need to be proactive in protecting yourself from harm, even beyond the defensive driving techniques you know from operating a passenger vehicle. Summer is a good opportunity for a few reminders on motorcycle safety tips, including recommendations on gear and being aware of your surroundings. In addition, you should always remember that you do have rights if you are involved in a crash, and a Biloxi, MS motorcycle accidents attorney can help you pursue them.
Don Proper Motorcycle Safety Gear
The most important tip for protection in a motorcycle crash is also a legal requirement. Under Mississippi law, all riders must wear a helmet that complies with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulation. However, the potential fine is not the only incentive to put on protective headgear: Statistics show that you are 40 percent more likely to suffer a fatal head injury if you are not wearing a helmet and are involved in a collision. Plus, you are three times more likely to sustain serious head trauma if you do survive.
In addition, other safety gear can protect you from being seriously hurt if you are involved in a crash. The right equipment can prevent road rash, a painful skin-related injury that occurs when your body skids across the pavement. More than just an abrasion, road rash is more serious than you may expect, and it can lead to long-term nerve damage. Therefore, you should wear:
- A jacket and pants or chaps made of leather, denim, or another heavy-duty material;
- A durable set of gloves, which will protect your hands and help you grip the handlebars;
- Leather boots that come up to your knees;
- Protective eyewear, if your helmet does not include a visor; and,
- Clothing that includes light-reflective strips or patches, as visibility to other motorists is a top priority.
Use the SEE System
Motorcycle enthusiasts have developed an approach to safety while riding, which can keep you safe for many years to come. The The “SEE” System incorporates certain defensive driving tactics, along with additional safety precautions specifically designed for motorcyclists. Going by the letters of the acronym, you should take care to:
- S = Search: Check around you for potential hazards, including other cars, trucks, bicyclists, motorcycles, pedestrians, and stationary objects.
- E = Evaluate: Assess the hazard and potential threat it presents. Then, anticipate how it may affect safe operation of your motorcycle. Pay close attention to vehicles that are turning, changing lanes, or stopping suddenly.
- E = Execute: Engage in proper preventative or evasive action so you can safely, effectively avoid the hazard.
Schedule a Consultation with a Mississippi Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
For more information on motorcycle safety tips and what to do if you were injured in a motorcycle accident, please contact the Biloxi, MS Law Offices of Judy Guice to schedule a free consultation. One of our experienced personal injury lawyers can tell you more about your legal remedies as a victim of a motorcycle crash.