Top 5 Factors in Teen Car Accidents in Biloxi, MS
In a tragic story reported by Biloxi’s WLOX ABC News, a teenage driver died in surgery following a horrific car crash on August 16, 2017 in Biloxi, MS. Police stated that the car accident occurred when the 16-year-old male changed lanes abruptly and lost control of his vehicle, crossing over the median of the roadway and into oncoming traffic. The teen struck another car, at which point his own vehicle was torn in half by the impact and he was thrown onto the pavement. The driver and passenger of the other car were sustained minor injuries, but were listed as stable the morning after the incident. As police continue their investigation, the incident is an important lesson on the most common factors that may be involved with teen car accidents in Biloxi.
- Inexperience: As with many activities, a person gets better with practice and teens just don’t have as much time behind the wheel as their older counterparts. They’re often not able to recognize hazards on the road, which means they’re less likely to be able to react appropriately and avoid an accident.
- Texting and Driving: Texting, surfing the internet, and other types of cell phone usage are clearly dangerous for drivers of any age. Unfortunately, these activities are also very popular among teenagers. Despite laws against using a phone while driving, many teens still engage in this risky behavior.
- Other Types of Distracted Driving: In addition to using the phone, there are other activities that can take a teen’s attention away from operating a vehicle. Eating, operating a navigation system, tuning the radio, and talking with other passengers are also examples of unsafe distracted driving that can cause accidents.
- Reckless Driving and Speeding: Teenstend to relish in the personal freedoms that come with having a driver’s license. They may take risks behind the wheel when parents aren’t around, such as speeding making illegal turns, tailgating, dangerous lane maneuvers, and street racing.
- Driving with Other Teen Passengers: Peer pressure can be a powerful motivating factor, leading a teen driver to engage in reckless driving they wouldn’t otherwise attempt. Even just being social and chatting with friends can be a distraction for teens at the wheel.
Biloxi Attorneys Protect Your Rights After a Car Accident
While some factors are more likely to be present when teen drivers get behind the wheel of a car, the truth is that an accident can occur at any time – even when experienced motorists are in the driver’s seat. If you’re injured as a result, you do have rights to recover for such losses as medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. However, you’ll need a skilled car accident lawyer to assist in discussing settlement with an insurance company and in court. For more information on your options, please contact the Law Office of Judy Guice to schedule a case assessment. Our experienced attorneys have represented the interests of many car accident victims in Biloxi, MS, and we can help you, too.