Top Defective Children’s Product Recalls of 2018 – So Far
You pay close attention to safety issues when purchasing items for your child, and even when choosing products that he or she may come into contact with in your home. Unfortunately, many of them fail to meet federal safety standards, increasing the risk of serious injury to children. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) maintains a list of products recalled by manufacturers and government agencies. It is useful to review a few of the critical product recalls of 2018, but you should also reach out to a Biloxi, MS products liability attorney if your child was hurt due to a defective product.
Dangerous Children’s Products
Defects in toys, clothing, bedding, and nursery equipment are especially troubling because they are primarily used by children too young to understand the dangers. Some of the biggest recalls of 2018 include:
- VTech Shake & Sing Elephant Rattles: These toys were subject to recall because the ears could break off easily, posing a choking hazard to infants. The total number of units affected in the US and Canada was 280,000.
- Graco Highchairs: These units posed a hazard because the rear legs could fold out of position and cause the entire chair to collapse. Children in the chairs were at risk of injuries through falls.
- Nerf Battle Racer Go-Karts: The steering wheel on these vehicles was the subject of this recall in May 2018. The wheel could detach or break while in use, making it impossible for the child to steer or stop.
- Helmets R Us: These helmets did not comply with US safety standards regarding head gear. The affected units were primarily used in household and school gym programs.
Recalls Potentially Affecting Children
Other product recalls present risk of injury because children may use, be exposed to, or come into contact with them. Examples of this category of product recalls include:
- Kidde Smoke Alarms: Over 450,000 of these units were recalled by the manufacturer when it was discovered that they failed at the only task they are designed for: Detecting smoke. A defect in the manufacturing process disabled sensors inside the alarm, interfering with its ability to detect smoke and issue an alarm.
- Natureplex Pain Relief and Itch Cream: The packaging was the reason for this product recall, as it was not child resistant according to federal standards. The Lidocaine in the cream could lead to poisoning if children open the package and ingest the product.
- Uttermost Wall Art: Mirrors, painting, pictures, and other wall décor were recalled because the hanging hardware could fail. Any member of the household, including children, could have been injured by a falling piece of art.
- Harbor Freight Tools Firearm Safes: These safes, intended to protect children from coming upon dangerous firearms, could spontaneously open. Even without a key or combination, a child could access the items inside.
A Biloxi, MS Products Liability Attorney Can Review Your Claim for Free
If your child was injured by a dangerous product, whether subject to recall or not, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. For more information on products liability, please contact the Law Offices of Judy Guice in Biloxi, MS. We can schedule a no-cost consultation to review your circumstances and explain your legal remedies.