What To Do If You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
One minute, you’re enjoying the outdoors around Biloxi, MS by bicycle; the next, you’re on the ground in agonizing pain after being struck by a car. With the lack of protection offered by a bike, the initial impact can cause a wide range of injuries, including broken bones, head trauma and internal harm. There may be a long, painful road to recovery as you heal from a bicycle accident as well. In addition, you may be out of work if your injuries prevent you from returning to your job. Mississippi law allows you to recover compensation for your losses, so it’s important to hire an experienced personal injury attorney right away. A lawyer can guide you through some essential steps to pursuing your claim with an insurance company.
- Report the Accident: Be sure and call the police immediately following an accident. You’ll want the driver of the vehicle to stay and wait for the police. Request that the police fill out an accident report and gather the insurance company name nad policy number of the other driver. The police may also take photographs of the scene. If possible, you should also take photographs of the scene, damage and any injuries you have.
- Seek Medical Treatment: If you received medical care right after the accident, continue with rehabilitation according to your doctor’s orders; if you didn’t, visit your physician right away. Failure to seek medical care may result in worsening injuries and failure to seek medical care soon after the accidnet may weaken your insurance claim for expenses and pain and suffering.
- Gather All Relevant Documents: When filing a claim for bicycle accident injuries, you’ll need to support your position with the necessary paperwork. Collect all medical records related to your injury diagnosis, treatments, and prescribed medications. If you missed work, be prepared to provide your payroll information for lost income.
- Write Down the Accident Details: As soon as possible after the incident, document your recollection of all circumstances surrounding your bike accident. Include details such as weather and road conditions, where you were going, a physical description of the scene, and what factors may have led up to the collision. Provide this written record to your lawyer, but don’t offer it to the insurance company. Your memory of the bicycle accident may fade over time, and a writing can help refresh your recollection.
- File Your Bike Accident Insurance Claim: Insurers generally have a process for filing a claim through forms and supporting documentation. Your attorney will include a demand letter indicating the amount you would be willing to accept to settle the case out of court. Once the insurance company receives your claim, an adjuster will process it and respond. If you’re unable to resolve your claim, it may become necessary to file a lawsuit. You must do so within three years from the date of the accident under Mississippi’s statute of limitations.
Trust a Biloxi Lawyer to Protect Your Interests
Under Mississippi law, you do have the right to recover compensation for your losses in a bicycle accident, but filing a bike accident insurance claim is complex. You’re working with an insurance company and an agent that’s not focused on your own interests, but rather on its own bottom line. You need a dedicated, experienced attorney that will aggressively pursue your rights to the compensation you deserve. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Judy Guice in Biloxi, MS have represented many clients injured in bicycle accidents, and our legal team can help you, too. Please contact our law offices today to schedule a free initial consultation.